Monday, August 3, 2015

MARIMEKKO, A RING, & HIM

A recent event is quite worthy of posting about...
On July 5th, just as everyday this summer, I woke up telling myself, "It's not today. It's not today..." in an effort to maintain my hopes. That day, my friend Emily and I had planned to go to Denton, and I was the one who made the plans, so there was "no way that it's today." "It" as in Gavin's proposal.
So, I ate some breakfast, showered, and got ready. But something fishy was happening in our house -- I could feel it. I told myself it's just my nerves.

Then my mom knocked on my bedroom door. She was smiling and teary-eyed, holding a beautiful white and blue Unikko dress by Marimekko. And I knew. She said, "Someone anonymous delivered this just now, and you have to wear it to Denton today." So I started crying too.

I put it on, my family left to go somewhere, and my friend Emily came to pick me up. She said we needed to pick up a camera for our picture-taking in Denton, and begins to head over to Gavin's neighborhood.

I always imagined that I would have some time to process what was happening. Some proposals happen after having a dinner date or at the end of a scavenger hunt, during which the girl has time to realize what is actually going on. But Gavin loves surprises. So when Emily parked behind the Pugh's house and directed me to go through the back gate, there he was -- ready for me.



I walk into the backyard and he is as handsome as ever. Rachel, a really talented photographer and good friend of ours, was thankfully there to capture the moment.



I was half-laughing-half-crying the whole way through.


He expressed his love and desire to spend the rest of our lives together, pulled out the ring, and popped the question. I nodded and, through the tears, managed a "yes."



What made it absolutely perfect was the lovely, brunch-themed surprise engagement party that Gavin put on with the help of our family and friends. It was complete with pretty decorations, donuts, parfaits, Finnish pastries (voileipäkakkua, karjalanpiirakoita, pullia), blueberry pie, rum cake, and of course mimosas.



Just look how beautiful that table is!


Bradley, with his mad coffee skills, served us pour-overs.




We had such a blast and were thankful to everyone who came and contributed.
I was also so impressed -- but not surprised -- that Gavin pulled it off, and I'm really proud of him for it.


So here we are -- engaged!

You can also check out Gavin's blogpost about it right here: http://gavinbpugh.com/2015/07/07/proposing-to-my-girlfriend/ 


~

On a side note, it's sad how late this post is, and I apologize for that, but I have learned that summertime is nothing like it used to be now that I'm tiptoeing into adulthood. I've been working at a preschool, working with photography, taking summer classes, been involved with a student organization, and more recently been moving into my new apartment. So, down-time is at a minimum. I need a vacation from my vacation.
On another side note, yes, we are young, so we are setting the wedding date for after we have graduated from college in two years, just in case anyone was worried!

No comments:

Post a Comment